[Dailydrool] reverse sneeze

Carolyn Mitchell carolynmitchell at ns.sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 17 09:53:33 PST 2008

Heres a link to a reverse sneeze video, I never knew what it was until Max started to do it later in life and it scared me.

(   http://www.petplace.com/dogs/reverse-sneezing-in-dogs/page1.aspx?utm_source=dogcrazynews001et&utm_medium=email&utm_content=petplace_article&utm_campaign=dailynewsletter   )

A dog owner calls a vet or emergency clinic because they think their dog is making some strange choking-type noise.  And he is doing it over and over.

They describe some weird noise their dog is making- it's not quite a choke, it's not vomit, it's not a cough and it's not a sneeze.  Most dog owners describe it as being more like a sudden and repeated gag.  What the dog is actually doing is called a reverse sneeze . It can be normal for some dogs and scary for pet owners that have never seen it. We have a video of what it looks like in the article.

During a reverse sneeze, your dog will make rapid inspirations, stand still with his elbows spread apart, extend his head, and his eyes may bulge. He'll make a loud snorting sound, which might make you think he has something caught in his throat. Many dog owners think their pet is suffocating during a reverse sneeze episode. Each reverse sneezing occurrence generally lasts for less than a minute up to two minutes.

Thought I would share in case anyone goes through it with their bassets :0) Have a great day!

Carolyn

mom to

Rex aka LiL Foot
LiL Miss Daisy Halo