[Dailydrool] A Story to tell....

Basset911 at aol.com Basset911 at aol.com
Tue Nov 18 17:37:53 PST 2008

For all of us in rescue and the basset world - how many basset hounds in  the
media can YOU count, and what impact have they had on you?
Many are the homes who tell us that they first learned of the basset  through
the television series: People's Choice - with the amazing Cleo.  We  also
have the world renowned Elvis singing to a Basset (and collectors go crazy
looking for those items), Hushpuppy Ads, Columbo, Coach, Judging Amy - the list  is
very long.

Whatever awareness brought you to basset hounds, and to basset rescue, we
are forever grateful.  The lives we save every single day are completely  due to
each and every one of you - whether you are an adoptive family,  volunteer,
donator or a friend with a shoulder to cry on when those of us on the  front
lines have had more than we think we can take - you all make this  possible.

And now, the story to tell......
It started from the forward of a Free to Good Home Ad. - one of many we
receive daily.  Volunteers watching the online lists had caught a basset,  being
given away.  And the story grew from that moment on.
The finder of the basset, had taken her to a vet for microchip scanning,  and
she had one.  her name is Lola, and her owners information was long out  of
date.  The owners name was also known to us here in rescue, as being  back yard
breeders who commonly knock on high profile home doors and ask the  home
owners to save the "puppy" they just found and spent their rent money  on.  Its a
scam.  This couple have been breeding many breeds and  selling the pups in
such a manner.  Lola, obviously had given birth not  that long ago, and her
microchip traced all the way back thru the pet store that  sold her to this couple,
and then onto to the puppy mill she came  from.

A wonderful foster home and friend, Linda, was local to this area, and a
quick call to her had her picking up "Lola" immediately.  Linda had just
recently lost her senior foster she adopted at the HoeDown, and Mitzi - her  adoptive
hound needed a new companion.... and so it was that Lola found a  forever
home - we call it foster failure.

And then one fine evening, our pal Sandy Brokaw dropped a note - he had
rewritten the song; Doggie in the Window, and Patti Page was re-recording it the
very next day to Doggie in the Shelter..  We were being invited to attend
this wonderful and amazing event - and being asked to bring some hounds.   We
brought 6 - Kodah, Smedley, Carley, McNabb, Shiraz and asked Linda to  bring Lola.

Now may I introduce you to Lola - who is the star of the HSUS awareness
campaign on puppymills......

_Old  Song Carries New Tune | The Humane Society of the United States_
(http://www.hsus.org/about_us/celebrity_support/how_much_is_that_doggie_in.html)

And how wonderful is that?
A puppy mill girl - in a national ad campaign to save her relatives.
Sometimes the story just HAS to be told!!

Dawn of the West
Basset Rescue Network
_www.barniatdaphneyland.org_ (http://www.barniatdaphneyland.org)