[Dailydrool] Fostering

Jessica Sutton Jessica at fmprofessionals.com
Wed Nov 19 11:52:21 PST 2008

I am so excited!  DH and I have finally decided it's time to open our
homes and hearts to a homeless houndie...if just for a short time.  We
are going to start fostering for Helping Hands Basset Rescue here in
Austin.  Our home inspection is scheduled for this Saturday, and I think
I've read enough from posts on the drool to know what to expect and what
is important and what's not.  (Thank you all, btw) I remember that if
the lady from the rescue leaves the dog in the car, I should probably
tell her to bring him inside...cause it might be a test.  Ooh and if the
dog lifts his leg on my sofa, well I should show him the yard while I
grab the steam cleaner and pre-treat the spot.  And pretty much just be
our normal, everyday, basset loving selves and we will be just fine.
(I'm not sure who posted that story about their home inspection, but I
never forgot it) I'm sure I'll have a million questions and I am so
blessed to have this wonderful group to turn to.  I've been wanting to
do this for a while but the thing that finally pushed me to action this
week was an email I received from a fellow drooler about a basset boy in
a shelter nearby with not too much time left on his clock, and no place
for him to go.  The thought of him sitting there alone with no one to
love him, and knowing that he may end up with his life cut way too
short, and I could have done something to save him, but...  That just
wouldn't work for me at all. I was planning to drive down to pick him up
and foster him yesterday when I found out that through the emails and
calls that went around, this little boy got his forever home with a new
basset brother and he is going to have the life he deserves.  Thank you
so much Lisa!  You are a great person and the love you had for that
little guy you had never met before really is beautiful.  After that, I
knew that there's nothing that I can come up with that will be a good
enough excuse for why we're not helping to save these sweet little
creatures and give them the lives my girls are blessed to have.  So,
I'll keep you all posted as things progress.  Wish me luck!

Jessica L. Sutton

Very nervous that I'll fail miserably at fostering the very first
time...and then we'll have three.