[Dailydrool] Miss Angela and the cold

bjenk1 at cox.net bjenk1 at cox.net
Sat Nov 22 08:47:51 PST 2008

Bill here, press agent/personal trainer to Miss Angela Basset, Droop and Drool Diva of Wichita and Sedgwick County

Since the weather here in beautiful south central Kansas has gotten colder, Miss Angela has seemed to really relish the cold.  During the heat of summer, Miss Angela was not always eager to go with me on my walk.  She would consent to a short walk to our lovely neighborhood park, but once we got past a mile, she would slow considerably.  She would even slow down in the shade and speed up in the glare of the sun.  The last three or four blocks would be at about one third speed.  Now, with the temperature under fifty, she is eager to go for walks, going to the door and barking to remind me of my duties as personal trainer.  In cold weather, I prefer to ride my exercise bicycle but my dear employer wants her walks.

In addition to walk time, Angela has also extended her bathroom breaks.  Since I am not fond of the cold, I prefer to put her out in the fenced back yard to do her business.  These trips have been getting longer as she luxuriates in the cold.  When I let her out the front on her tether, the same thing happens.  I go back to my duties and she barks at the door when she is ready to come in.
Several times in the last week, when Miss Angela went out for her midnight
"business" outing,

                         Break here while I let her out

she curled up out on the lawn and declined to come in.  Since this outing is right before I go to bed, I either have to wait her out (as I did one night this week with the temperature hovering around freezing) or go out, brave the cold and her determined flat basset maneuver, and try to manhandle her into the house.  Treats seem to be losing their effectiveness.  She just seems to enjoy a midnight outing.

                         Break here while I let her back in.  She's barking for me.

This has never happened before.  She never enjoyed winter. Of course, all bets are off it is damp.  Then she has to be bribed or strong-armed to go out and often has to be TAKEN out into snow or rain.

Today, we are going to the Boarding Kennel where she goes to sleepaway camp, day care and spa treatments.  They are having a photographer in and I am dressing as Santa (no padding or fake beard required).  Miss Angela is simply making a public appearance for her fans.

Working for Miss Angela is a constantly changing and challenging adventure.
She has never been destructive or overly rowdy but she has always been strong willed and demanding.  If I had not been on the Drool these five years, I would probably think that she was unusually stubborn and willful.  Now I know that she is usually stubborn and willful.

Bill (gotta get the red suit out)
Angela (I think I get treats for my personal appearance)