[Dailydrool] In Commeration of Jill's Gotcha Day

Nadine Mysker nadine at mysker.com
Wed Nov 26 06:32:09 PST 2008

Former BBR Board Member Cathy Zamazal had tried to convince me for
years to foster or adopt a basset hound.  Two and 1/2 years ago I took
the plunge as an effort to relieve boredom and give me something to
look forward to everyday.  You see, I am a cancer survivor and had
been given the prognosis of 3 - 4 month life expectancy post surgery.
At that time I was three YEARS out. . .  Although I had been in full
remission for over two years I still had not gotten over that last
hump from ill to well.  I looked okay, though a little beaten, but had
none of the old spunk or go-get-it-ness.  My husband agreed that
perhaps a new volunteer mission might help with the understanding that
I could foster, NOT adopt.

Jill the Bagel, all 43 shaking/shivering/fearful pounds of her,
arrived on a fall day in September.  The first thing she did after
touring an empty house for 2 hours (yes, we left her absolutely alone
for two whole hours so she could explore with no fear of us) was hop
up on the couch upon our return.  I immediately told her to get down
(our previous 90# dog WAS NOT allowed on furniture) and my husband
responded with "She's so little and scared, let her be!". I can tell
you I, too, was totally smitten.  And I had a reason to get up in the
morning instead of laying around til Noon.  Jill had to go out, Jill
needed a walk, Jill needed to be fed or watered or whatever.  These
responsibilities eventually lead to: Jill needs shorter stairs (Let's
rebuild the porch!),  Jill needs more room in the car (The sportscar
got traded in for a station wagon!), Jill needs darker carpeting to
cover her tracks (Let's re-carpet the family room!), Jill needs to go
on vacation with us (Let's rent a dog-friendly property!).  Jill came
from a sad past that we hope has been obliterated from her memory with
all the love and affection we have provided.

On Thanksgiving morning, two years ago, we swung by the Post Office
and dropped in a check to BBR, not an annual donation but as adoption
fees.  I told my spouse, "If I can keep Jill I will forego all
Christmas and Birthday gifts from you for the rest of my life." (What
the hell, who ever thought I was gonna live this long! LOL)  He agreed
and I no longer get gifts from him but miraculously, really nice gifts
arrive from Jill every year (and no, I do not order them on line or
buy them myself. . .)

So here's to you, Jill--my buddy, friend, Velcro four legger, my sweet
girl.  I love you!

Nadine Mysker, slave to Jill the Bagel