[Dailydrool] Oh, Violetta......

L.K. Metzler toppogigio at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 27 13:32:16 PST 2008

...I think you must have a distant relative living in Texas.  Addie-Lou Roo the Baby Kangaroo Basset has also been learning to fly.  Bouncing was just the beginning, but today she took her first official "flight", taking off from about 3 feet from the end of the raised footrest of her Grandma's lounge chair right onto Grandma's lap!  I don't know who was more surprised, Addie or Grandma or me.  It was one of those split-second things that just happened before we could react....  "Happy Thanksgiving, Grandma--here I am!!"  Grandma was not amused.  I laughed so hard my ribs are still hurting.  Grandma is still not amused.  It's going to be a loooong day.

At almost seven months old, I am beginning to fear that Addie will go to "The Dark Side"---OEBE!  So far, her career consists of the following:

1. She has successfully de-insulated all of our exposed outside pipes, and the handyman is coming back next week with sheets of flexible steel to wrap around the NEW (third time's a charm!) pipe insulation.
2. She has been caught in and chewed up sticky mouse traps.
3. She has "skinned" a large-sized Kong Wubba toy (the one toy I really thought she couldn't destroy...).
4. She swiped a cookie--but did share with big brother Pelly.
5. She tried to climb into Jojo the Parrot's cage the other night, but it rolled away from her.
6. She has become an expert bone thief and is currently out-swiping big sister Penelope--which is quite a feat in itself.  I believe she has made her own improvements on some of Pen's best strategies.
7. She tries to "help" her Grandma with her needlework by swiping the canvas and tries to "help" me with my beading projects by jumping in my lap at a crucial moment at the end of a string full of beads.  (Just what I need--a nickzillion tiny beads all over the wooden floor.)
8. She has "pruned" the Christmas cactus by standing on her hind legs-- unsupported--and batting at the buds with her big paws.  I think the plant will survive, but I would not count on it blooming until Addie is an old lady.
9. And, "worst" of all, she terrorizes her big brothers and sisters by bouncing on them when they are trying to sleep.
I'm surprised the big kids haven't eaten her alive yet and Grandma hasn't evicted her or banished her to the back porch until July, but she's so darned cute it's really hard to be mad at her for too long.  I keep reminding Mom (and myself) that Addie will only be a puppy once and we've only got 16 or 17 months to get through before she gets her Big Girl Brains.  Please--place the order now so that the big brown truck will arrive on time.  Early would be best...

Grandma is warming up a bit after this morning's incident.  I think Addie will be out of the proverbial dog house in time for some turkey giblet soup.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Drool to All--whether you need it or not!  It's good for you!!

Lisa Metzler

Penelope, Jasmine, Pelly, and Addie-Lou Roo the FLYING Baby Kangaroo Basset

L.K. Metzler
San Marcos, TX
toppogigio at yahoo.com

"A dog wags its tail with its heart." - Martin Buxbaum

"If dogs could talk it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one." -- Andy Rooney