[Dailydrool] Idiopathic Head Tremors ??

Kay, Nancy K *HS NKK3U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Sun Nov 30 17:05:03 PST 2008

Tonight we were having dinner in front of the tv so we could watch the rest of a football game.  I  was sitting on the couch, with Frank the Tank beside me.  When I finished my dinner and put my plate on the coffee table, Frank moved over and climbed up on my lap and nestled his snout between my knees, mostly sleeping, and waiting for Bill the dad-slave to finish his second helping so the plate-licking routine could start.  After a few minutes, Frank raised his head to see if Bill was done, and Frank's head started a back-and-forth tremor, fairly pronounced, moved at least an inch each way.  Bill and I both watched Frank for 10 seconds or so, saying "That's really weird behavior...what's happening??", then I put my hand on Frank's chin to hold it still, and his head stopped shaking.

Frank had no clue anything was going on; he seemed totally cohererent the whole time.  Bill was looking straight at him, and said Frank's eyes were concentrating on his dinner plate.  It's all very unsettling, so I sought the infinite resources of the internet, and it seems to fit with something called "Idiopathic Head Tremors".  The "idiopathic" part means that the cause is unknown, though most of the internet info points to reactions to Sentinel (a flea preventive, Frank doesn't get it), late stages of doggie pregnancy (Frank isn't expecting :), and waking up from a deep sleep (maybe).

So for now, we're not worrying.  But, if anyone has had experience with this sort of thing, please let us know!

Nancy, owned by Sweet Sarah and Frank the Tank
Kewsick, VA