[Dailydrool] Moving the dogs

Esther Strom esthermstrom at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 6 11:06:00 PDT 2008

Waldo and I never actually moved more than a few miles away, but we did drive down to SW Florida (from Chicago) several times to see my parents. Driving alone, that's a three-day trip. Waldo was over 10 both times, and extremely arthritic. We stopped every two hours or so, and I tried to make sure to do it at rest stops, rather than just getting out at the side of the road for his potty breaks. Whenever I needed a potty break, I took him inside with me - I never had anyone say anything (other than wanting to pet him!), although I don't know if that's really kosher or not. It probably won't be an issue for you if you have a driving companion.

I have a small SUV, and I put down the back seats so Waldo would have the entire back area to stretch out it. I put a bed back there that had a zipper compartment for heating pads. I can't remember where I found it, but the pads were not electric - they were rice or buckwheat filled, and you could reheat them in the rest stop microwave. I have a car ramp, so Waldo never had to jump, and I didn't have to lift him in and out 7 times a day.

You might also ask your vet about temporarily increasing the dose of any arthritis medication your dog is on if you're concerned about the effects of a long drive with too little stretching space.

Esther Strom and Waldo (ATB 07/18/2008)