[Dailydrool] Prednisone

Sandy sanwhe47 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 13:06:08 PDT 2008

I sent a personal response to Sally but after reading several responses on
the DD I decided to share:

Prednisone does not cause increased urination usually,but it can cause
prednisone induced diabetes (it goes away when the drug is stopped) in some
individuals.  The symptoms are increased thirst, increased urination and
hunger in the short term.  With two-leggers who have this side effect we
give them insulin for the time they are on the prednisone.  I give Thumpy
prednisone when he has a flare-up of pain from his spinal stenosis.  I
immediately see an increase in his appetite but he has no other symptoms.  I
ve taken prednisone for over 17 years (kidney transplant) and I can tell
when I miss a dose because I'm not hungry but it has not cause increased
urination or incontinence even at extremely high doses (I started at 200
mg/day)!  If it is due to prednisone induced DM you should see her drinking
a lot more water which causes the increased urination.  It is not something
to worry greatly about for a short course ; just let your vet know.

Those of you two-leggers who responded that it caused increased thirst and
urination should definitely contact your doctor and have your blood sugar
checked; especially with long term use.  These are the main warning symptoms
of diabetes (excessive thirst and increased urination).

We're slinging drool to all those in need.

Sandy W
Bea, Val, Dora, Willie,Thumpy(the Pit-Basset)
Bug and Max who are happy not being Bassets
See our family at:
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/513320