[Dailydrool] The World According to Norm - The Book

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Thu Oct 9 19:18:23 PDT 2008

It's me again - Norm!

Today started like any other day here in lovely Temperance Michigan.  The
day dawned bright and sunny, Dad got us up and promptly fed us our
breakfast.  Mom let us out into our big back yard to play and chase the
squirrels.  The squirrels have been very busy lately digging little holes
and burying black walnuts, so there are lots of things to find and sniff.
Hoagie and Johnny were sunning themselves on the picnic table.  O.F. Grady
was in the house helping Mom fold clothes.  Dad was putzing in the garage.
The mail lady came and pulled all the way up in the driveway - we really
like her 'coz she brings us treats.  We all went to the gate to say "Hi
Carrie!".  Carrie gave Dad the mail and I heard her say "Looks like Sandi
got her book".   Dad said "Yep - I'll give it to her".  Dad took the mail
into the house and THAT'S WHEN THE TROUBLE STARTED!

It was time for us to come inside for our morning treats and naps - but
where was Mom??  She knows our schedule - she is always on time.  We were
waiting at the gate - we were pacing - no Mom!  So we gave some gentle, soft
reminder woofs - still no Mom?  So we sang a song - still no Mom.  Finally
we all started barking with the BIG INTRUDER BARKS - finally she came
outside - carrying THE BOOK!  I finally saw it - it was Brudder Elwood's new
book.  We all started telling Mom - "read it to us, read it to us!"   So she
gathered us all around and started reading --  my goodness, I didn't know
that there were such mean people in the world - people who tie up their
bassets, throw them out of cars - I was getting very sad - then Mom started
reading the funny stories Brudder Elwood wrote and I got happy again.   We
were really getting into THE BOOK when Dad came in for lunch and TOOK THE
BOOK!  Boy was Mom mad - she was fuming - she threatened to lock the
refrigerator - she threatened to let the air out of his truck tires - she
threatened to take the blades off his grass cutting tractor - and all he did
was read and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh.  But Mom got even - when
he put the book down for a minute, she grabbed it and hid it where he will
NEVER find it - in with the dusting supplies!  Mom says that when he is
cutting grass tomorrow, she will finish reading it to us!

So, this is an IMPORTANT ALERT TO ALL BASSETS - tell your Mom to buy THE
BOOK - and then have her read it to you and laugh and laugh and laugh and
laugh!  And the best part is that it helps all those houndies that need new
forever homes.

Drools to ya!

Norm (and the rest of the Red Bay Gang)

Grady, Hoagie, Johnny & Opie

Sandi Wittenberg - Mom to the Red Bay Basset Boys