[Dailydrool] Pierre, Damaged Canned Food, Beneful, etc ...

laumag at mts.net laumag at mts.net
Mon Oct 13 09:32:28 PDT 2008

First of all, I am not in animal medicine, so, the following comments are only based on what I have learned over the years. I have had dogs for 40 years and Basset Hounds in particular for 14 of those 40 years. I also work at a pet supply store.

Re:
>Is there a possibility that thyroid issues are related to allergies?  Pierre's
>coat is very thin, but then again, he is always scratching and itching.  I wish
>so much to help him, and mostly to reduce the amount of allergy meds he takes.
>I keep hoping he will develop immunity, like some kids do.

Using the late Prince Oliver of Canada and the current Zack of Canada, formerly of Becky's house in Wisconsin, as examples, I am somewhat knowledgeable in the allergy/thyroid field. Oliver ATB was hypothyroid. Vets do not normally test for thyroid dysfunction unless Owners request it or there are obvious symptoms.

In Prince Oliver's case, he had surgery to remove a sebaceous cyst from his
back near his butt and the area that was shaved remained devoid of regrowth for
almost two years. Oliver lost weight for no apparent reason and had increased
joint pain. He was always getting skin infections and such. I requested that Oliver's Vet run a thyroid panel. She was not convinced that he had this problem until the test results showed a very low thyroid function. The tests cost $90.00 and he had to have three of them before his thyroid function went back into normal range with the help of Synthroid, which I bought from a human pharmacy. I try to get human medications if possible with a script from my Vet for my dogs.

However, usually hair loss due to underactive thyroid is what is referred to as a rat tail with symmetric hair loss in other places. Oliver's hair loss was circular and his tail was fine.

Moving on to Zack, he presented with a similar Staph infection to Oliver back in February. He was on antibiotics for what seemed like forever. I authorized a specific blood test to determine what antibiotics would work in Zack's case. I learned from Oliver's situation in that a lot of the antibiotics we used on him were ineffective, because he had a sort of natural resistance to them. The test is about a hundred bucks, but, its worth it in the long run. Oliver had this test and so has Zack.

When the antibiotics didn't work, I started to suspect thyroid dysfunction. I asked my Vet to run a thyroid panel for another hundred bucks. His levels were all normal except for one. The one that was low usually is indicative of an allergic reaction. So, then, we had to try to find the culprit. I take full blame for this. As I mentioned in the Subject Line, I work at a pet supply store and I like to bring treats home for Zack. I had started giving him a Merrick Beef tail aka Texas Toothpicks every day beginning in January, when we first started selling them in the store. I then decided to add a bit of canned food and pumpkin. Zack's skin infection started shortly thereafter. So, we went through countless antibiotics and medicated shampoos and sprays and ointments and ear drops and eye drops and my money to try to figure out what he was allergic to. He also has constantly plugged anal sacs, scooting and spending his time scratching his ears and licking his paws. These are all classic allergy signs. To make a long story short, listen to your Vet. I thought I had listened to her, but, I think I goofed. She told me to cut out everything but his dry food and matching cookies. I thought she said to try a new food after he improved somewhat. Big Boo Boo on my part. In August, I switched him gradually over to Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Canine Formula. He really liked it and smelled like a salmon. A week after the switch, I was running my hand down his back and came away with most of his hair. He looked like a skunk, except the line down his back was not white fur, but bare skin. I called my Vet and told her what was going on. I had misunderstood her. Zack is now back on his regular food and treats with no exceptions. His hair is back thanks to the diet change and Hexadene Shampoo and Topagen Spray. He feels a lot better. I am taking him to see his Vet this Wednesday to get a lesson in external anal sac expression. Zack's sacs don't express naturally and do so externally more effectively than internally. I will not have them surgically removed, so, I am going to learn how to express them myself. He is such a dear that he never minds anything I do to him. I will authorize another thyroid panel when and if there are more symptoms to compare.

Hopefully, Pierre's problems can be solved through the same trial and error method. I believe that Zack is allergic to wheat for sure. I was eating an animal cracker and a tiny piece broke off and fell to Basset level. Zack snarfed it up and not more than fifteen minutes later he was flapping his ears like a mad Basset. I took a look and they were bright red. Also, Zack is allergic to beef and or chicken as well. The Merrick Beef tail experience points to this as does a time when Zack decided to eat the neighbor Golden Retriever's IAMS. The allergic reaction took about three minutes that time. I was glad it passed, since I did not have any Benedryl handy to curb anaphylaxis. So, Zack only eats Canidae Lamb and Rice and Canidae Lamb and Rice biscuits. Saves me money on treats. I bought three bags of the old formula of Canidae from my store. Sixty pounds will last until March. I did this because the new formula Canidae is five pounds less per bag for the same price. Sneaky.

Moving on to cans ... damaged and/or on clearance. For damaged/dented cans look for bloating. If there is bloating, do not buy it. There are usually expiration dates somewhere on the cans. They can be the usual dated ones with month, day, year or they can be month/day/year, when processed, then, add a year to expiry for those. There are also codes that would have to be deciphered by pet store staff with a code book for the various companies. If a store puts something on clearance, it is close to expiry or damaged. It is usually half price, which is cost for the stores.

Beneful ... the only good thing about Beneful is the bag.

I seem to be rambling on and on and on. I should go put my Thanksgiving turkey in the oven.

Happy Thanksgiving Canadians ...
Happy Columbus Day Americans ...
Happy Everything Else Day for other Droolers not falling into the first two categories...

Laurie and Zack, who will not be getting anything different to eat for the rest of his life.