[Dailydrool] Update on Utah bassets... a little long

Jennifer Kleinschmidt jennifer at jenniferkleinschmidt.com
Tue Oct 14 22:47:23 PDT 2008

Awhile back, I posted a desperate email about several bassets in Utah
Friends of Basset Hounds care.  I thought I might post a bit of an update.
UFBH has now spent 94% ($47,000) of our projected budget for the year. We
are a bit concerned about October, November, and December because,
unfortunately, we've only raised $35,437...All of our emergency bassets in
the month of September really did us in! If you can afford a donation, it
would help us out greatly! (Just click on the piggy bank on our home page at
www.ufbh.org.)

So, here's the scoop on the bassets I told you about last month:

After going into cardiac arrest and dying, our vet revived Buster and I
followed three vet techs at 90 miles an hour down the freeway to the Vet ER.
Buster stayed in emergency care for almost a week and was eventually
diagnosed with Addison's disease.  He'd had his first crisis.  For those who
are unfamiliar with Addison's, it's a relatively easy condition to treat,
but it's very expensive.  Ironically, Buster is the second basset we have
with Addison's!  That's an expense of about $200 per month for both dogs
probably for the rest of their lives.

Ricki, the 5.5-month-old puppy with parvo recovered very well.  He turned
out to be one of the best puppies we've EVER seen.  He rarely had accidents.
He rarely displayed any naughty puppy behavior.  It was very odd, indeed!
He must have come with his brain installed!  Ricki is a darling boy and is
now happily adopted and sharing the big human bed with his new family and
the other dogs of the household.

Lucy, who had pneumonia, is also recovered and is currently available for
adoption.  She's a sweetie who desperately wants affection and attention.
All she wants is love. At some point, she had a run-in with the Freckle
Fairy!  She's quite liberally dusted with spots!

And, last but not least, Toby had his orthopedic surgery (TPLO). It's funny
how much more like a puppy he behaves now.  We had become so used to his
grouchiness that this new exuberance is almost a surprise!  It's great to
seem him feeling so much better but it's rather hard to keep him calm.  His
recovery is slow, but progressing.  He's still available for adoption.

So, that's scoop here in Utah.  We are swamped, as are most rescues, I'd
guess.  We've got 38 hounds right now and 4 waiting to come in. Very few
adoption applications.  In August, we passed our 5-year anniversary and we
are proud to say we've rescued over 200 bassets in that time!  To celebrate,
we put together a simple celebratory t-shirt.  You can check them out on our
new CafePress store (www.cafepress.com/ufbh)!

Thanks to all of you in the Daily Drool community for being so supportive.
It's great to have such good friends!

Jennifer

Jennifer Kleinschmidt
President, Intake Coordinator