[Dailydrool] What does a high PH mean?

DEBBIE.WYNN at comcast.net DEBBIE.WYNN at comcast.net
Sat Oct 18 16:51:58 PDT 2008

In addition to Rosie (my basset hound), I have two pugs named Chubby & Daisy.  I started noticing that there was an increase in housebreaking incidents, then I saw Daisy all foamy around the mouth like she had vomited for several days, then I noticed some spots that looked like blood as I cleaned up the urine.  Well - when Daisy wets Chubby feels it is his manly duty to cover it up with his own urine, so I wasn't sure whose blood it was, consequently I whisked them both off to the vet.

By the way - was I this paranoid BEFORE I had dogs, or did dogs bring out this latent tendency toward paranoia?  BLOOD IN THE URINE!!!  I was sure they were both dying.

The vet is treating them both for a UTI and treating Daisy for gastritis.  He x-rayed them, tested their urine, and said they both have high PHs.  He wants me to come back in 2 weeks after this round of illness is cured and "we will get to the bottom of this".

Any ideas what would cause high PHs in two dogs of the same household at the same time?  They are unrelated - I received them as a bonded pair through a rescue group about a year ago.

My golden was just spayed and had lab work and they didn't say anything about her having a high PH, which I think would have shown up in the lab work.  So 1 out of my 4 household dogs is okay.

Any tips would be helpful.  I am absolutely NOT going to Google this because the last time I Googled anything about my dogs was when my golden was spayed and the Drool already suffered through my panic attacks about that subject!

Debbie