[Dailydrool] Clara applies to OEBE

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 26 07:29:53 PDT 2008

Clara has always been my 'good' dog. The one who comes when called, who looks but doesn't steal, who has  trained faithfully as an agility dog making me so proud of the way she watches  for every direction. Until yesterday.

We went into the ring - and it was an easy course, just one or two sharp turns, which she normally takes in her stride.
Off we went, over three jumps, I called her to me to make the turn to the weaves and she looked me right in the eye and bounded past me taking a flying leap straight on to the centre of the see-saw,
Every person watching cried out in shock, I called her back, but she spun round (still on the see-saw) and leapt off , landing on a nearby table.
She then came back, rubbished the weaves, shot over the spider, through the collapsible tunnel and over the  frame. I called her to the hoop, but she had seen the tunnel to one side, not even in the course, and shot along it instead. I called her back. She came, spun round on a sixpence and shot straight back though the tunnel again.
Eventually she came back and finished the course.

I couldn't believe what she had done! I wasn't mad, more frightened. That trick on the see-saw and table could have cost her a lot more than a rosette.

And, of course, once they saw she was safe, everyone was laughing at her 'comic turn'. I hope she doesn't now decide to be the agility clown.

Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK