[Dailydrool] Basset Thermal Units BaTU's and Reply to Esther about Sally

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Mon Oct 27 09:07:01 PDT 2008

I have 6 bassets, and have not yet turned on the furnace.  When I get up in the morning and go into the living areas, the temp is about 50 degrees inside, while it is around 35 outside.  I think if I could afford to have another 12 bassets I would not have to pay for heat.  On the other hand, I think the heat is less expensive than the proper care and maintenance of the 18 dogs.  I might have to reconsider the numbers if the electric and natural gas prices continue to climb!

Sally:
While I do think that Esther's thoughts on removing a leash from a snapping and growling dog have merit, in my experience, when you remove the dog from what they are guarding, they usually stop snapping and growling.  The surprise at being removed so abruptly also shocks them from their behavior, and a very calm demeanor prevents the dog from escalating.  With our Dakota, once she was removed from the thing she was guarding, she calmed immediately because the stimulus was gone.  If I could have gotten Rick on board with disallowing the behavior instead of blaming me for it, I might have enjoyed the dog more.  I was actually relieved when she died.  Even though it was very sad, I had never liked her enough to really mourn her.  If we hadn't had such a challenging relationship it would have been way better.  That is why BOTH partners have to be on board and working  with the same strategy in the same way.

Of course, every dog is different!  If she were to continue the behavior into the "safe room" then I would definitely try to change my strategy.  I don't think that Sally is a psycho basset, just a dominant one.  I believe the leash will give power and correct the bad behavior.  Emily might find that it doesn't work.  I also recommend privately that the dog never be allowed into the bedroom.  It is less punishment to simply make her sleep in a crate or other room in the first place, but with a dominant dog, the behavior needs to be addressed regardless, and this is *usually* a very safe way. Doesn't work for every dog, but is a cheap and easy first step to try with any dog.  I suggested a "safe room" rather than a crate because of how the info came in about DH being angry with the dog.  I don't like the idea of locking a dog up when I am mad at him/her.  I usually toss them into the back yard for a few minutes when I am mad, because the crate is supposed to be happy for them.  If space is a problem, a crate is a very acceptable "safe room".  Just be protective of her need to be happy to go there.  In the event that the crate is the only option, I would pre-bait the crate with something delicious, so that the angry person isn't directly giving the dog a treat for being dominant.  The CRATE is giving the treat because the dog is there, not the person giving a treat after stuffing in the dog.

I have mixed feelings about a shock collar.  I am very tempted to get two, so that when my boys fight, or more correctly, start to make the stances that lead to a fight, I can control that without risk to myself, or without escalating the dogs by my interference.  However, this must be used with caution and with very strict adherence to the directions.  One must pay very close attention to the dogs and to their postures to ensure that one doesn't punish an innocent behavior or look.  I don't know if I am that good, so haven't invested.

Grace and peace to all.
Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!