[Dailydrool] Millie's Birthday

Hilary Stevens hilaryjane at msn.com
Mon Oct 27 10:35:37 PDT 2008

Hi Droolers

It was Millie's first birthday yesterday.  I think it is safe to say she now has her paws firmly under (or should it be on) the table.  We adopted her about 6 months ago after her first family relinquished her to Basset Welfare following a marriage break-up.  Her first family got her and her sister from a local breeder at about 8 weeks. The wife wanted to keep her sister but felt she couldn't cope with two.  I often wonder how the sister coped with the separation.  Millie isn't used to being alone and will pine for Alfie if separated although treats and/or a good walk will offer distraction and brief compensation.

Enci fell for her immediately (of course!).  She padded in looking all soulful with her only worldly good - a manky old soft toy - and he was smitten.  The feeling is mutal and she will pee with excitment when he comes back after a trip.  He only needs to look at her and she wags her tail furiously.  She's such a happy dog.

She wasn't much for cuddles initially but is rather fond of them now (although it might only be to deny Alfie).  If I sit on the 'dog sofa' there is usually a tussle to see who can get on my lap first.   She can be quite determined and doesn't pay any attention to Alfie's protests.

We noticed pretty early on that she's a smart cookie.  She learnt how to steal chews literally from under Alfie's nose.  He doesn't fall for those tricks so much these days.  She's also a counter-cruiser and destroyer of pretty much anything you leave around.  She's ripped the kitchen vinyl and chewed countless shoes.  She's also half goat, and is fast as bullet and LOVES a good run, especially on the beach.

She's got a soft spot for my brother's youngest Boxer but I don't think that's going to work out.  At home she's as quiet as a mouse but finds her voice around other dogs and people.  She has such a sweet little bark.

We love her and hope she is happy in her 'new' home.  If you have a mug (or glass!) in your hand, please toast our beautiful girl!

Happy Belated birthday, sweetie.

Hilary

p.s.  She has naughty spots galore.