[Dailydrool] Barkathon

julie haegele jules56pt at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 9 19:16:36 PDT 2008

We are having a barkathon tonight.  I'm soon going to start barking if they don't stop.  Sunny barks a lot for no reason.  She ba
rks at the trash can right before she knocks it over.  She barks at the air for fun I guess.  She goes outside and barks at the fence or the grass or the trees or the house.  Right now she seems to be barking at Maggie who is completely ignoring the effort.

Maggie has just spent 20 minutes or so barking at me for no apparent reason.  She's been fed, watered , out, in, wrestled, played with cuddled, rubbed and so on.  She at least is quiet now.  Sunny wants to make me insane.

Ninja is quietly snoozing on the couch waiting until it is time to play cheerleader(bark at) Marley and Maggie as they try to see if each other's head will really all fit in their mouths.   Maggie can fit three bones or Maggie's head in her mouth with no trouble.  Marley can get Maggie's nose in.

Ahh!  the barking has stopped.  Sunny is staring at the wall.  Maybe it doesn't need to be told off.  I am about to get out the spray bottle and see if I can cool her off a little.  The only problem is that she thinks I am trying to give her  drink and will get closer to get more water.  Sherlock thought it was a drinking fountain too.  He liked for me to put the spray nozzle into his mouth and squirt.  He also liked to drink from the milk carton as it was pouring.  Kind of cute really.

Sherlock was our sweet smushy wuss boy who was terrified of Sunny his whole life.  He died one year ago tomorrow.  We got up and he was gone in his sleep.  I miss him so much.  Can't believe it has been a year.  I can still see him laying on the floor where he liked to sleep.  He looked normal except that he wasn't breathing.  He was such a sweetheart.

We got Sherlock to keep Sassy company because her sister had died and she was so lonely.  Sherlock was a puppy and not a show dog at all.  Didn't know about rescue then.  He was so small he fit in the palm of a hand.  We wanted a girl but the muffler on our car blew just as we were going to look and by the time we got there, there was only Sherlock.

He was  a tough little thing.  Sassy hated him on sight.  Just too old to deal with a pup and he loved her.  We had three small boys at the time so he got the run around literally.  When Sassy died we got Sunny who had been chained to a humane society fence with no name age or anything.  Sunny was the boss from the minute she walked in and never let Sherl forget it.  They tolerated each other but nothing more.

Sherlock was a lovely sweet boy who loved white bread, sticks of butter and most anything he could score off of the counter.  He could sit on his hiney straight up with no effort.  Sassy could do it too.  All of our others have "round" bottoms.

Sherlock was almost completely white as he got older.  He was our faded basset.  If he hadn't gone I guess we wouldn't have or three "new" girls.  While I love them completely, I sure do miss my Sherlock Eeyore Roams.  January 26, 1996-September 10, 2007.  I hope you are running free with lots of rabbits to chase.  Missing you tonight so very much.  i feel silly sitting here crying over a dog who has been gone a year.  Makes me feel really old.

Sending barky and teary snooters to all.  Give your pups a hug.  Life can be short--give them several.
Sunny, Ninja, Marley, Maggie and the mom