[Dailydrool] Film BassetSlave Jerry Reed Dies

Charlie Meyer charlie at droolassicpark.com
Thu Sep 4 03:11:47 PDT 2008

On cnn.com a couple of days ago: Actor/Musician Jerry Reed Dies at 71.

Long before the dancing 'Kibbles and Bits Homestyle" dancing Basset
advert, there was 'Smokey and the Bandit' featuring Fred, a big Tri
who went for a ride with Reed in the 18 wheeler.  Back in a day when
we complained of such weighty issues as the 55 mph speed limit. We
knew who had nuclear weapons.  Terrorists weren't religious. Disco was
a bigger threat than AIDS. More than a few watched the film again for
Fred.  I, for one.

My favorite scene was with the bikers accusing Reed that Fred bit one
of them. After a fistfight, Reed, looking much the worse for wear,
loads Fred back into the truck and proceeds to run over the gang's
motorcycles.  I remember that scene more often recently because a
middle-aged biker chick at work gets a little too enthusiastic over a
motorcycle gang. Biting my tongue whilst thinking: "Do you have the
motorcycle or just the shirt?"

As we grew in dogdom and rescue, we may have bemoaned the flea collar
and the choke chain left on the Basset, but I'll admit watching it
more for Fred, a Basset out enjoying a ride with the window open.

Reed was also well known for songs about love and divorce, among them
gems as "She got the gold mine, I got the shaft."

With that, I won't be surprised if one of the ushers at my son's
wedding in Upstate New York Saturday doesn't duct tape my mouth shut
for that "If anyone has reason to why this couple should be
joined...." part of the ceremony. <joke> Actually, I'm quite thrilled
for Brendan and Sue.  I'm confident he'll do better at marriage than I
did.

Fred has been waiting at the Bridge for his two-legged co-star.

Charlie Meyer
West Virginia Coordinator
Basset Rescue of Old Dominion, Inc. (BROOD)
Droolassic Park
Keyser, WV

Basset Hound Rescue: Work With Women. Pick Up Dogs.