[Dailydrool] dogs that are "picked on"

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 13:48:45 PDT 2008

I don't know about anybody else's bitch, but I know that when she was in her
prime (which was right up until she took her final breath) Zelda positively
radiated that "Try it, Punk" attitude, especially toward male dogs. Most
male dogs consider bitches off limits. This was something that Zelda
considered her birthright. She was less hostile and much more circumspect
around other females, especially older ones. She still considered herself
pretty hot stuff, but she was less apt to snap and more apt to do a kind of
half-snizzle.
Younger bitches were another story. And any dog of any other breed except
Belgians were considered "trash".
Consequently, other dogs frequently responded with their own versions of "Oh
Yeah? You think so??" The boys,meanwhile, stood well away (seriously)-- out
of the line of fire. The only time I saw one react was when Zelda was
pregnant and we were waddling up and down our street for exercise with
Mitchell along for fun, and a little Cocker rushed out screaming horrible
things at us. I nearly got my arm ripped off as i was certainly not
expecting Mitchell, of all our dogs the most peaceful, to go instantly on
the offense. Luckily, the Cocker didn't expect it, either, and had a sudden
change of plans.
I think bitches tend to attract trouble, and the males wisely hang back
until they see whether they really have to get into it or not.
This is absolutely my opinion, unsubstantiated by any fact or science,
anecdotal and unsupported by anything other than 40 of watching my husband
do the same hang-back-wait-and-see tactic.LOL

MomPerson