[Dailydrool] Kisses

Jane & Marty Hay jhay at nc.rr.com
Mon Sep 8 06:25:16 PDT 2008

BlankWe love to kiss our Houndettes right on the soft part of their face by their nose but it has taken a while for two of them to enjoy it! Shadow has always been a little lover. She is our first CBHR foster failure because she is as sweet as they come and just the most loving basset you could ever meet. Her favorite place is in your lap being snuggled and loved. Fortunately, she is a small basset so we're happy to accommodate her! Our Suzy was crate abused and hadn't been socialized at all with people or other dogs when she came to us as a four month old puppy a year ago. It has only been in the past six months that we can talk her into our laps and snuggle and kiss her and know that she actually enjoys it. Jersey has been a challenge to get to snuggle with us. We adopted her a year and a half ago from CBHR when she was probably between four and five. When we brought her home my daughter immediately sat on the floor and started to pull Jersey to her to love and hug her and Jersey made it real clear to everyone that she would not allow it! Fortunately she doesn't bite but she sure rumbles and lets you know when she doesn't like something. It has taken us a long, long time to win her trust and finally be able to pull her toward us to hug and love her. I can't even tell you how gratifying it is to finally know that we have won this old girls trust and that she finally loves us enough to let us snuggle with her and will actually allow us to pull her face toward ours to kiss. I think adopting an older dog and letting them learn that there is love and kindness for them has got to be one of the most satisfying things in the world.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow & Suzy