[Dailydrool] Wyatt Update

stevebarlow4 at verizon.net stevebarlow4 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 10 06:01:52 PDT 2008

Sorry I haven't been back in a while.

If you remember. Wyatt had osteosarcoma, and took a turn for the worse before vacation on 7/25.  We ended up boarding clover and getting the neighbors and a petsitter to come visit. The neighbors were aweome, they came by each evening and gave him lots of loving(they had lost their dog to the same cancer 2 weeks before).

When we came home, he was in really bad shape. I had an appointment with an in-home vet to euthenize him on Monday, August 11th, but on the 10th, I took him to a local park, and he perked up.. and told me "i'm not ready daddy!" He walked for about 1/3 of a mile, which was awesome!   That was awesome upswing!

But the Sunday before last, his sister attacked him while eating.. and just like the 7/15 incident that sent him into a spiral... this kind of knocked out Wyatt's good back leg.  All week, he's been off and on standing up. He did the splits, so he sits in that position a lot, and it's hard to get up from.  It was horrible to see him pee in the floor, and then pull himself all the way across the foyer, moppng the floor with his butt.

But his appetite was good, and he was doing awesome last Thursday!  But as days go by, it's harder for him to stand.

Now, granted, I could get him a doggie wheelchair... but he also has a tumor on his spleen and it's spread to his lungs... so his time is limited regardless.   But right now, he has an awesome appetite and he's gained weight since he went on prednisone in late July... but that's not good for his legs either.

I'm calling the vet in 5 minutes(they open at 9am) to ask about euthenasia.   It's very hard for me, I had hopes the in home vet could do it here on Monday(she's off this week), and two friends were going to come by to say goodbye on Sunday.

The sad part is mentally, he's still there, he just can't physically do it anymore.  What was the kicker for me was yesterday I took him for a short walk, what I call the 4 mailbox 'sniff'.  He pooped.. then tripped and fell in it. He's never done that.  He also tripped in the ditch and couldn't get it.  He HAS been fine walking.

This is 1 months since his appoitnment to be euthenized.  He's exceeded what I expected, and I had always said to have him in September would make me happy.    I would be lying if I didn't say this has been a rough summer.  I've done everything I could to make him comfortable and happy. I've taken the extra steps, and it's been very stressful on me. I think it's time he goes to the bridge.

Anyway.. if any of you get this, and he doesn't get euthenized today, please give me your thoughts.  Half of me wants to have him hold on until monday, hoping for another turn around..(I did forget his medicine yesterday morning.. so he was really bad yesterday) or just so he can say goodbye to his friends.  After all, it's not the cancer that's getting him, it's his other leg.. the one that had the torn ccl when he was 4.  As of today, he's 11 years, 4 months, and 4 days.  He was diagnosed on 6/15.. so it's almost been 3 months, when the vet had originally given him 4-6 weeks.

This is a very painful way to watch your baby go.. But being basset with a history of back problems, I suppose it could have been worse right?

I think i hear him trying to stand up... I'm going to go help him.

Steve and Wyatt