[Dailydrool] Other breeds and kids

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Thu Sep 11 09:19:13 PDT 2008

Our bassets are also very breed specific.  We especially see this at dog
shows.  While we are lounging around the "house on wheels" and the dogs are
lounging in their "portable yards", someone can walk by with bassets and
they simply watch or occasionally bark a friendly greeting.  However, if a
non-basset walks by, the barking is clearly not a friendly greeting - more
of an "intruder/non-basset alert".  While dogs at dog shows mingle among
each other ring side with no signs of aggression or even acknowledgement
(that cannot be tolerated), while they are in their "own" area, they do show
territorial behaviors.

My bassets love kids and certainly communicate with them.  They also use
them to their advantage.  I have 5 grandkids (3 of them are young - 6,4,3)
and the dogs certainly know they are easy marks for food.  When my grandson
Caleb was about 3, he and Morey ATB would have frequent conversations.  This
was especially "enlightening" because Caleb has some speech and language
delays due to early ear infections and Morey was almost stone deaf in his
later years.  Caleb went to speech and language pre-school to help with this
problem, and many of the children in his class had serious impairments, so
sign language was used with those children.  So anyway, Caleb was visiting
with us for the day and I ran to the bathroom.  When I came out of the
bathroom, I could hear the dog dishes rattling.  I found Caleb climbing onto
the grooming table and putting food in Morey's bowl.  When I asked him what
he was doing, he said "I'm getting Morey a 'nack (snack) coz he 'aid (said)
he hungy (hungry)."  I told him that Morey had just eaten his breakfast, so
he wasn't hungry.  Caleb persisted saying that Morey told him he was hungry.
To prove his point, he crawled into Morey's crate with him and asked Morey
"Are you hungy?".  I told Caleb that Morey couldn't hear him because he was
deaf.  Caleb said "He not dead - see he breevin'!"  I explained to him that
Morey couldn't hear - so Caleb lifted up Morey's ear and yelled into it
"Morey, are you hungy?"  I told Caleb that Morey still couldn't hear, at
which point Caleb turned to me and asked, "Does Morey sign?"  Needless to
say, Morey got a 'nack!

Sandi Wittenberg - Red Bay Bassets

sandi at redbaybassets.com