[Dailydrool] Names On Collars and Salmon Breath Gone ...

laumag at mts.net laumag at mts.net
Fri Sep 12 08:52:42 PDT 2008

I noticed that there was a request for names on a collar. I purchased a "bling" type collar for Zack a year or so ago. I work at a pet supply store, so, with my discount, the whole thing cost thirty dollars. This would include the leather collar and the four rhinestone letters that made up Zack's name. He began to wear it on a daily basis and by the third week, the whole name portion of the collar had come loose and had fallen somewhere around our block of homes. I retraced our steps and came upon the absent piece laying in someone's yard. The screw that secured it to the collar was no where to be found. I brought it home and on closer inspection, one of the rhinestones in one of the letters was missing as were a couple from the collar's buckle. The leather was also cracking. So, my advice tis to stay away from this type of collar. It is a real waste of money. I would recommend the Land's End engravable metal attachment, which fits their leather collars. They seem to be durable. The reference number for this is Item # 09810-5AD6 at their web site.

Moving on to kissing Zack and Salmon breath, the salmon breath is gone, because the food is gone. The switch from Canidae Lamb and Rice to the Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Canine Formula was a disaster. All was well during the gradual switch over last week. I started feeding only the fish food beginning last Saturday morning. On Monday, I noticed that Zack's back was particularly flaky. I ran my hand over the flakes and found most of his guard hairs and all of his undercoat in my hand after stroking. Oh Oh! I called my Vet. She suggested I stop feeding him the new food and go back to the old stuff. We also have him back on the antibiotics for his recurring staph infection, the medicated shampoo for the bald area and his Topagen antibacterial topical spray. So far his eyes and ears are okay. He is now back on only the Canidae, nothing else. This makes buying presents for him really tough, since he seems to be allergic to chicken, beef and fish. His 6th birthday is on September 19th. Hopefully he will have hair on his back by then.

Laurie and (Zack of Canada, formerly of Wisconsin)