[Dailydrool] Ear Cleaner

Winn & Faye Mauk winn01 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 13 20:18:15 PDT 2008

Hi Fellow Droolers!
Have I said lately how much I enjoy the Drool family and the info that comes our way from loving Basset Hound Slaves...? I so appreciate each of you.

Regarding ear cleaning. I have never had a problem, knock on wood, and I have had 5 Bassets, and currently have 3.
We use equql amounts of alcohol, (70% kind, ) and  white vinegar mixed in a spray bottle. I spray it on a soft wash cloth and using my index finger, clean out the ears about once a week, during their bath. If you don't have time for the bath, clean the ears alone using the soft washcloth and the mixture. My girls love having their ears cleaned. You do not want to spray inside the ear (PLEASE DON"T) just the cloth and gently massage the ear canals with it, it will be plenty dirty, in just a weeks time because their ears are on the ground so much of the time. I  clean them inbetween baths, if I know they have been digging in the dirt or in weeds. They will shake their heads like crazy when you get done, but that is only to help with the drying process. Alcohol is fast drying so there is little moisture left, and the shaking helps to finish it up. You can use a cotton ball, but I prefer the SOFT cloth and gently massaging. What dog doesn't like to have their ears rubbed, and this feels so good to them.
As I said, we have never had a problem with ears.
Happy Drools!
Faye
Annie:0).....

Live Life... Passionately
Laugh... until your tummy hurts
Love...unconditionally

My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a
reflection of it!