[Dailydrool] Embroidered Collars...

L.K. Metzler toppogigio at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 13 20:43:06 PDT 2008

A bit of a rant here...

  Embroidered collars are great!! I have had them on my Bassets for a long time. You can get them in a lot of nice colors and styles, too---but they ARE limited to the relative intelligence of the person finding the dog wearing said collar.  Why?   Because even with the embroidered name and telephone number in nice big letters/numbers, some folks just don't LOOK at the information.

  I know this from experience, having had to "buy" my poor old Dalmatian back from the pound (7 miles from the house). Her name and my phone number on the collare were 1" tall --the width of the collar.  The letters were white against a dark blue background and very easy to read even from a distance.  Ginger was a people dog--so it was not a case of them not being able to get close enough to her to read the collar. They simply never looked at the collar.  Of course, neither did the "doggie jail"  folks, either--I had to call them and give a description and her rabies tag number.  The response I got was, "OH.....uh....."

  My parents had a similar experience with their little Schnauzer girl.  Heidi got herself nearly three miles from home and the people who found her kept her for nearly a month before dropping her off at the vet's office because she got so sick they didn't know what to do with her.  (Had she received vet treatment right away, she probably would still be alive.)  Again, her name and the number were on her collar and on the tags and her rabies tag was current.  They wanted to keep the dog, but when she got sick, it was too inconvenient for them.

  As I said, the collars themselves are great.  Tags are probably STILL a good idea attached to the collar. (I love those Boomerang tags that actually clip onto the web of the collar itself.)  A microchip is extra insurance--sort of that belt and suspenders thing.  You do what you can and hope that whoever picks up your dog will use two or three brain cells to actually make use of the information you've provided.

  Okay...rant over!!

  Drool to all in need!

  Lisa Metzler
  San Marcos, Texas

  Penelope, Jasmine, Pelly, and baby Addie-Lou Roo (aka the baby Kangaroo-Basset)