[Dailydrool] Bassets who listen

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 04:46:16 PDT 2008

Very interesting. I taught the "freeze"command to my two Belgians, never
thought to teach it to the Bassets which says a lot about expectations,
doesn't it? I have never heard of anyone else teaching "freeze" and I did it
as a silly game the first time and as an actual command the second. "Wait"
is one I use all the time. Sometimes it works....Mitchell is bad about
bulling his way out of crates, kennels, runs and cars. I have tried "wait"
for years (he is 10) and the only difference I have noticed over the years
is he is a bit slower.
"Wait" to me is even more important because it means if a gate is opened or
the car door or a crate door at a show, the dog can be told to hangon, don't
go taking off-- gives me a chance to secure the dog. All the dogs except
Mitchell listen to that. (I suppose "stay" would accomplish the same thing,
but in obedience competition "stay" is a very specific command. Not that I
do competitive obedience. The only "competitive" part of it at our house is
whether they actually do what I ask or not.)

My biggest problem is the gangbanging that goes on when someone comes to the
door and i have been wildly unsuccesful at getting the furkids to stop
leaping and screaming. I suppose I need to split them up and teach a good
sit individually, because now they just feed off each other's excitement.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Mitchell and Cooper, all sadly lacking manners.