[Dailydrool] Pippi - DNA test available

Cblatz Cblatz at zoominternet.net
Thu Sep 25 13:00:27 PDT 2008

Dear Deb,  Know that I understand the pain you and your family are in.

I want to use this sad event to remind ALL Basset Breeders that there is a simple Blood Test to check DNA for BHT (Basset Hound Thrombythia (Sp?).
Or platelet bleeding.   Details are on the BHCA web site.    Your vet pulls blood and sends it to Auburn Universtiy where the researcher will test the DNA and send you back a report,  Clear, Carrier, or Affected.
Every Breeder should have their breeding stock tested.    Affected animals should never be used for breeding.   A Carrier can be bred to a Clear without getting Affected puppies.    But of course, Clear to Clear is best.
Deb, I wouldn't be too hard on your Pippi's breeder.  Not all puppies in a litter would be affected.  Not all "responsible" breeders test their stock.  A lot of people don't even know the DNA test exists.
As more and more test are developed for genetic conditions it is imperative that breeders take advantage of the opportunites to breed the healthist Bassets possible.

Cathy