[Dailydrool] Bassets at night

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 17:03:17 PDT 2008

Mitchell needs out. It is 2 a.m. Auuuugggghhhhhh. Maybe if I ignore him.
Nope. Out we go. I take the flashlight. Cooper comes along. The boys wake
up, whimpering in their crates, ok ok ok ok, everybody out. I am in jammies
and flashlight.

I watch them all. Mitchell vanishes into the "jungle" section of the yard.
Sometimes I can see his tail. Llewis comes in. Nigel comes in. Cooper comes
to the door and waits. No Mitchell.

I call. Softly. Rustle rustle in the Jungle and his head appears. Now,
Mitchell IS blind in one eye. I have the flashlight. I shine it on Mitchell
and then on Cooper and then on myself. When my face lights up his ears drop
and I can see his pupil widen clear across the yard. He steps back, his
hackles raise, I see the AAAAHHRRROOOOOOOOO forming on his lips:
"Mitchell!Mitchell! It's ME!" and then I think how I must look in the
concentrated beam of the flashlight-- the fat lady meets Godzilla.....I turn
off the light. Here he comes, as fast as he can, so relieved to "see"me. Wow
there was some monster out here, Mom! Did you see it? Jeeez...let's go back
to bed, ok? Didja lock the door??

MomPerson to Mitchell, my love, Nigel, Llewis and Cooper.