[Dailydrool] (no subject)

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Fri Sep 26 05:19:09 PDT 2008

<<Moses' mom asked:  "is it possible to have him sleep w/ us and then as he grows up ... transition him to a doggie-bed in our room? or will he always demand our bed?"

No.

Yes.

Do it anyway - nothing like sharing your bed with a big, warm, furry
body-length pillow.  That snores.  and drools.  And likes to dig its
claws into your belly at 4 am.  LOL.>>

Well, bassets are no fools. If they get in the bed, they will stay in the bed. But on a cold winter night, you'll need fewer blankets and a lower temperature on your thermostat. And little beats the love of a basset curled up next to you--or even between you and your husband (who needs birth control when she has a basset?). OK, so romance gets sidelined, but who can resist that cute face and the barking that insists on getting its way.

Summertime is a different matter. Have a large bed--a VERY large bed, because you'll be cuddling the same warm basset and may want to escape.

Now that Jane and Bel are seniors with arthritis, I have to boost them up on the bed. And it seems that over time they've taken up more bed space, though they are not fat at all. So usually it's our insecure Bel who ends up on the bed. But Jane usually seems OK with that.

Bassets naturally understand that the bed is theirs. It's their lifelong goal to make you understand that. Have you caved in yet?
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing [Bed] Bassets