[Dailydrool] Second thoughts on spaying

Saraberry at aol.com Saraberry at aol.com
Mon Sep 29 09:30:11 PDT 2008

I have experience with spayed females and intact females.

The issue is one of breedability.  Is she healthy and sound, with good
temperament and from good breeding stock, then it is harmful for our  breed not to
breed a healthy and sound basset just because it is  inconvenient.  Now to me,
that means her breeder should be guiding that  decision.

But then to do the right thing, you must be responsible for the  lifetime
placement and care of any puppies, and your breeder should support  all of these
efforts and be there for you.  That means if one is born with  diabetes, you
take it back and take care of it.  If when they are nine, one  goes blind and
the owner can no longer take care of it, you take it back and  take care of it.
 Now certainly you can work to find these dogs another  home, but I know with
any dogs I breed, they are my responsibility for their  lifetime.

And anyone getting ready to get a new basset hound, either rescue or find a
breeder that guarantees their dogs and treats them like they are family.   You
want to find the people who love their dogs like family because it is not
about your single dog, it is about the continuation of healthy, sound  bassets.
The best place to find these people is the BHCA Breeder Directory  at
_http://www.basset-bhca.org/Member_Info/Roster/roster1.htm_
(http://www.basset-bhca.org/Member_Info/Roster/roster1.htm)    These people are sworn, yes sworn, to
only breed to improve the breed, and that  goes for health and temperament as
well as any show qualities.

So to the list I want to say, if you get a female basset from good healthy
stock, from a responsible breeder, and the breeder says she is showable,
breedable, healthy with good temperament, and will back you up and support your
breeding her, then you can certainly manage her two times a year heats.

We have what we call the "Campground".   I have three intact  females.  When
one goes into heat, they all go to the campground.  It  has a covered dog area
and space to move about easily and they stay there until  they are all done
with their heats.  It is downwind from the area my males  are, so my males are
never bothered by it.

I have also had intact females in my city apartment in heat from time to
time.  We use those denim panties with the velcro and they work very  well.  I
also cover the furniture with throws that can be easily washed,  just in case.

Though we do not need more dogs in the world in general, we do need more
healthy, sound, responsibly bred basset hounds, and in order to have those, we
need to stop just arbitrarily spay/neutering what could be healthy additions to
 the gene pool that will produce healthier and more well adjusted bassets.

Just my opinion.

Sara