[Dailydrool] Franny - 1 year!

Courtney Willard courtney_willard at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 1 18:42:09 PDT 2009

For the last two weeks, Franny has been giving me the stink eye. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why. Then I read about Elder Clara and Sister Daisy's "Gotcha Day". Oops.

A little over a year ago, I decided that my husband and I needed a second basset and a third dog. The pack just didn't feel complete. Long story short, we went to Droopy Basset Rescue to adopt one of the Droopy Dozen with the help of ABC Rescue. I claim that we went down to Pennsylvania not knowing if we would come home with a basset. My husband thinks I'm full of it.

With the help of Judy, we were matched with Franny (then Betsy) and we brought her home that day. Franny's first real experience with us was in a car for the 3.5 hour ride back home to Western NY. She did fantastic, especially since she had to share the car with our other two dogs.

Franny's first few days were not without issues. We discovered that she most likely had/has colitis and this began a multiple month search for just the right diet (food and treats) to control her symptoms. She was not housebroken and was less than thrilled by her much too energetic sister, Maggie. While she adored us, she was also possessive of us which resulted in some obvious issues. She was so lethargic when we adopted her and really didn't understand why anyone would want to go on a walk. She would stop every few feet to sit and give us the "Really" look.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. My husband called me to tell me that Franny was actually playing with Maggie. I didn't believe it until I saw it. I definitely teared up as I watch my two silly bassets chase each other and smack one another with their goofy pays. She has come so far. Her colitis is under control and she's mostly housebroken. She loves her walks and can go for a solid 30 minutes without stopping. She's really bonded with her pack and seems truly happy. She's a pampered pup, just like she should be.

Thanks so much to ABC Rescue and Droopy for bringing us our Franny. Thanks to Franny for bringing me to the Drool. Thanks to all the Drool members who have given me great advice. And Happy (belated) "Gotcha Day" to my Franny!

Courtney Bishop
Momslave to Gilbert, Maggie and Franny