[Dailydrool] teething

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 07:00:13 PDT 2009

Conley is not at the teething stage yet but will be shortly (no pun
intended.) I have had two dogs,one a Basset, whose teething was so rapid and
loss and growth so immediate that I had to take them into the Vet. One ended
up getting baby aspirin every day for a few days, and chewed on ice and
frozen, wet washcloths. His entire face swelled, his gums were huge and
soooo painful. Both babies had this. One was a Belgian and one was a Basset
and the Vet said he had never seen anything quite like it. So be aware that
teething is usually routine but that every now and then one gets away from
you. Check the mouth periodically and don't feel silly about taking your
puppy to the Vet if the gums or lips appear excessively irritated or swollen
and, unless your Vet says yes you may DO NOT USE baby teething soothing
products on your dogs.
MomPerson, waiting for the other shoe...uh...tooth to fall