[Dailydrool] bassets helping themselves to food; stairs

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 15:16:29 PDT 2009

Much to the dismay of the bassets (and dachshunds) here, we have 2 storage
bins for dog food that are from the pet department. Well, a sneaky basset
here who shall remain nameless figured out how to open up the door of the
bin with her nose and we caught her eating a kibble. It would close on her
again and we kept hearing the door closing noise.  So I went out and
purchased carabineers (Sp?) and I hook one of them through each hole that is
atop the door of the bins. This prevents all four hounds from getting into
the dog food. Just a thought with the post of the basset girl eating the bin
of food on the drool posting.

Also, as another poster said, I have doxies and bassets and I do not let my
dachshunds to even attempt going down a flight of stairs (one can go up at
bedtime; the other gets carried) and both of them are carried down in the
morning.  My bassets are allowed to go up and down slowly when they get
their baths, otherwise the stairs are gated. The slowly down is the issue
because wet basset somehow equals out to the hound 500 here.  I had a
dachshund as a child who got depressed after my father died and he ended up
having disk issues from weight gain so I am just an over cautious. We do
have two steps outside our door to the backyard that all do use to walk in
and out to potty though.  I wish I had a ranch style house so that the
hounds could have free roam while we are home instead of not being able to
follow us to our bedrooms and such. Maggie used to follow me around years
ago when I would go into one of the kids' bedrooms to change them or put
them down for a nap when they were babies. I wish she still had that
freedom.

--
DRool to all in need,
Dee, Maggie, Mazzie, Oliver & Cooper