[Dailydrool] Natural Flea bath & spray

JACQIE MARVICH oakrydgebh7 at msn.com
Mon Apr 6 09:45:01 PDT 2009

This was posted on another list with permission to crosspost. With SPRING in the air and the recent posts about what to use for flea control, I thought some of you may be interested in trying this approach.

Poster says:

"I am told this is a good natural flea prevention that you can even use around pregnant bitches. I haven't used it yet but have some friends that swear by it. I use 20 Mule Team Borax around the kennel and it has worked for me forever. This spray, you could use (around the outside of ) the kennel runs in the grass that houses the fleas."
*"I am told that if you use lemon Joy it kills the fleas. It's the lemon juice that has something that kills fleas."

Something that is safe to spray the yard with for children and pets.
In a one gallon sprayer mix:
1 can Coke Classic
1 can beer (the cheaper the better)
1 cup lemon Joy dish soap
1 cup ammonia

Add water to the fill mark. Spray on grass/area till damp so it resembles a light dew.
Animals and children can be on it immediately but I like to wait till it is dry.
I use this all the time and around all pregnant animals. I repeat every 30 days if no flea problem, If having trouble (w/fleas) need to increase the lemon joy and ammonia (double) and spray every 10 days until (fleas) under control.

Years ago when we lived in a wetter climate, I femember having a recipe for something very similar to this and remember that it worked well. Living in a high desert area with a dry climate now, we rarely have a flea problem but occasionally I come home from a show trip and find we have brought "stow aways" from our trip. Usually, all I do is spray them with Absorbine insect spray for horses which states on the label that it is safe for dogs. I think I'm going to try this on the goat areas and see if it helps with the lice they always get after the spring showers.

Drool to all those in need.

Jacqie Marvich
Oakrydge Bassets