[Dailydrool] Looking for guidance

Wendie L Prince wprince1 at cfl.rr.com
Mon Apr 6 12:57:13 PDT 2009

Well, you won't get any argument from me on fostering or adopting a senior
hound!
Yeehaw!
Courtney,  I think maybe what could answer your question is to ask the local
rescue you will be helping,  if it would be better for them, for you to
foster or adopt one.
Fostering can be long term with a senior, and if you truly want to help and
foster, you have to be prepared to let them get adopted.  I had one for a
year one time and while it broke my heart to let him go,  I know he is in a
great home, where he is an only hound and getting so much more than I could
give him.
Foster homes are the backbone, IMO, of any rescue.  Without them,  you
really can not rescue many...unless you just have tons of money to board
them. I don't think any rescue has that, nor would they prefer boarding
them.   SO,  I would love for you to foster!  In my experience,  and keep in
mind, I have never had kids,  it is the most selfless thing you could do.
To love them,  feed them,  care for them, heal them, and then let them go to
another home.........it is  not for the weak of heart,  but truly is the
greatest thing in the world to me,  knowing I helped a needy hound.
I look at it this way also.  If I only ever adopt,  it means I only will
have a finite amount of hounds in my life over my lifespan.  If I foster,
that number becomes infinite,  I can love and touch that many more.

Okay, off my fostering soapbox.

aroos,
wen
www.seniorhoundsabound.org