[Dailydrool] Brudder Elwood and the neighbors

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 10 18:17:13 PDT 2009

Hmm. I am a pretty meek person, but in a case like yours, Debbie, I would go over to the neighbors and talk as calmly as you can about what happened, and ask the neighbors to pay part of the vet bill. I'd also ask them not to set off firecrackers in the direction of your house because of the danger to the dogs.

I had this situation with the pitbull that broke its chain and attacked Bo last year in our old neighborhood. I took the approach with the owner that the dog needed a more secure mooring for the safety of everyone. I worked really hard at keeping a neutral/friendly tone of voice (as much as I could muster, anyway), and probably as a result the owner was actually quite amenable to listening and offered to pay all of Bo's medical expenses. To my knowledge, that dog (which is a menace!) has not broken free lately.  What I felt like doing was clubbing both the dog and the owner with a baseball bat, but I'm sure what I did worked better.