[Dailydrool] submissive urination

Cblatz Cblatz at zoominternet.net
Wed Apr 15 07:02:17 PDT 2009

Gaylene wrote:  "PLEASE don't assume that every dog who urinates submissively, or has other disturbing behaviors, has been abused.  I think it is a really big mistake to assume that abuse is the only reason."
I have to second this.   I have bought puppies that I know were never abused and a couple had submissive urination as youngsters.   I have bred puppies, and it always seems as if  1 out of the litter is a submissive urinator.  All of my puppies are much loved and happily socialized.   All of these youngsters,  bought or bred have outgrown the problem.   Sometimes I don't even think it is a submissive problem as much as a developmental one, especially with young dogs.

That is not to say that older rescued dogs who do it haven't been abused or neglected.   Another reason could be pediatric spay/neuters.   Some shelters and breeders S/N puppies as young as 8 weeks.   There are  cases of leaking and other urination/bladder problems as the dogs get older.

Cathy Blatz
www.summerhilldachshundsandbassets.com
http://www.geocities.com/clubbasset/index.html
http://www.dachshund-wpdc.org/