[Dailydrool] Anti-pull harness

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 21:56:27 PDT 2009

A fellow drooler asked about the harnesses I was talking about earlier. I
found them on the web, they're by Gentle Leader, and called the "Easy Walker
Harness."

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+4+14142&pcatid=14142
(I'm sure they're pretty readily available, this link just had a good photo
of how it looks.)

We use them on a number of the big dogs at the shelter (staffies/pittie
mixes, mastiff mixes, etc.) pretty much any of them that are strong enough
to drag the volunteers through the mud. (My first trainee dragged me through
a snowbank twice!) The trick is that the harness connects on the front of
the chest, not the back, so they have to be next to or behind you in order
to walk straight. They aren't 100% effective (what is?) but they made a HUGE
difference on some of our more exuberent trainees. Plus, the pups don't seem
to fight them quite so much as the halti-leads or the gentle leader head
harnesses. If you do get one, do make sure to still use a martingale, or
some sort of collar with it as a backup, if you have an especially smart,
especially wiggly pup they may still try and excape (I haven't seen this
happen, but the trainees have gone to lengths to try & escape, and we'd
rather be safe than sorry!) Hope the info is useful!

--
-Karrie, momma to Joey, Aunty to Checkers & Crispin (wb)

Joey's dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/637473