[Dailydrool] Does it get easier

Jan Marchlewski jan3luski at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 22 13:16:49 PDT 2009

Does it get easier when a foster leaves?  I wish I could tell you that it will but I cannot with all honesty say that.  Each foster seems to take a little bit of your heart with them.  But of course you have a big heart to foster in the first place.

There have been some fosters that I thought for sure that I would cry when they left.  But instead of crying I was left with mixed feelings - perhaps a little puzzled.  Why?  Because these fosters that had bonded with me so much would just jump into their new family's vehicle and not look back at me.  No thanks for taking care of me.  No see you later.  No goodbye.

We have had other fosters that were friendly but seem to realize that our home was merely a layover on their journey to a new home.  They never seemed to quite make themselves at home.

A new adopter asked me once how I could let them go.  I thought about it and told them that I remember my feelings when I adopted a new dog.  I realize how special that moment is.  Besides if I kept this one, another one stays behind in the shelter.

Warning.  There will come a time that you cannot let go.  With me it was Grace.  If you cannot let go, it's okay.  There's lots of us foster failures out there.

Jan
Lady, Grace (my foster failure) & Lenny