[Dailydrool] electric fencing

Cheryl Stafford cstaffordmail at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 13:56:26 PDT 2009

I had written in asking info about electric fencing to try and keep
Radar from eating mulch.  Well we decided to try a training collar first
before going to the expense of installing the fencing.  So, we purchased
the collar, watched the DVD and were ready to go.  Both the husband and
I tried the collar out at the various levels to make sure it worked and
also see how it would feel.  Plenty of shock for me at level three.
Here we go.  We put it on Radar, sweet, lovable, hard-headed Radar, and
commenced the "training."  The collar didn't even phase him.  My husband
had him on the screen porch and started out on the lowest setting, no
response, kept going, no response.  Took the collar off and tested on
ourselves again, just to check.  Ouch, yep everything was working.  Put
back on Radar, yep prongs making connection to neck, fit is correct.
Try again, no response through all of the settings.  So back to the
store the collar went, and he now wears a mesh muzzle in the yard that
somehow still allows him to howl loudly but doesn't let the mulch in!!!
He is happy and so are we.
So the point is we are glad we went the less expensive route first,
being able to return the collar, instead of installing the fencing and
finding out just how truly hard his head really is.

Cheryl