[Dailydrool] Kirby is home!

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Wed Apr 22 18:24:16 PDT 2009

Kirby's temp is down to 101.7 and he came home this evening! I've got him resting down in the basement by himself. He still has the oxygen tube sewn in his nose, in case we need it. He is breathing a bit heavy, but is able to rest, so I think we are fine for now. He ate a big dinner, peed, pooped, and is sleeping now. He will be on doxycycline and clavimox for 21 days.

On the other paw, I'm a little worried about Mango. She has been eating A/D and some kibble, but maybe it is too rich for her. I was quite late getting home since I had a 90 mile drive to get Kirby and she had diarrhea all over her crate. I'm not sure, but it may have been bloody. I didn't notice at the time - it was a dark crate pad the I just hosed off then threw in the wash and wiped everything up. I noticed a little blood on her tail and hip, but her mass on her shoulder had some dried blood around it too - so it looks like it broke open a little. So either it was from the diarrhea or she just bled from her shoulder and stained herself from that. With the unknown mass in her stomach, I'm worried though. Of course, she won't poop again so I can check it...I fed her a little rice and gave her some pepcid this evening. Since the xray is in 3 days, I'm just going to go very bland with her diet until then so I don't upset things any worse.

And Barney is starting to have poop fall out the tailpipe while he's walking...it's happened both in the house and outside that I've seen. He just walks along and doesn't seem to know he's going. No weakness or other neuro signs, but with the big lymph nodes along his back, I'm hoping it's just aging and not the cancer progressing. He isn't bothered by it, and doesn't appear to be in pain, so I'll try to not worry about that for now.

Thanks for all the drool people have been sending. I really hope we won't need anymore for quite a while!!!

Synthia, so many bellies to rub, so little time
Bud, Barney, Zuma, Kahuna, Pearl, Mango, in transit Bodhi
Ace, Maya, Sage
Kirby, sleeping in the basement