[Dailydrool] collar vs harness and the flat basset

Kate bassetlover99 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 18:50:31 PDT 2009

After following the conversations re: collars and harnesses, I tried
something different on our walk this evening. Usually we (my mom lives with
me) walk the boys using a "Right Size" harness. It's really easy to put on,
and I thought it was more comfortable for them since it doesn't go around
their legs. I quickly figured out that the harness encourages them to pull,
and now they're beginning to outgrow them. So tonight I put them in their
new, fancy collars that I had bought for the Easter parade.

As we headed up the hill, I immediately noticed that Baxter wasn't pulling
at all. In fact, he was walking right with me. At one point, we had both
boys side-by-side walking...an amazing feat that I've yet to accomplish
solo. When they did start to pull, they were easily corrected as they didn't
enjoy the collar against their necks. Awesome!

Rounding the corner for home, Boomer went flat-basset. (The "flat pittie"
reference someone else made cracked me up, by the way!) He does this often,
and it's really annoying. My mom chooses to walk Boomer because she thinks
he's easier to handle, but then she ends up waiting for him to get going
again. Often, we have to toss a stick or something (a pine cone tonight) to
get him moving. Now that we've got the no-pulling walking down, we'll have
to start carrying treats to encourage him along.

These boys teach me something new every day.

--
Peace and drool,
Kate

http://baxterandboomer.shutterfly.com/