[Dailydrool] Benefits of adding to the pack

Drew McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Thu Apr 23 09:26:02 PDT 2009

Is adding a second hound to the pack a good idea? Yes!

Before you decide, though, make sure you have enough money in the kettle to
handle a second set of vet bills and the other expenses for adding a new
hound to the pack. You'll probably need an additional dog bed, leashes, and
all the other basset paraphernalia. Just after you adopt, you'll need to
have the hound get a vet check, even if it's healthy. You need this, even if
the rescue has had the dog vetted, because you want to give your vet a
baseline to work from. Also remember that even if the new hound is healthy,
you may run into immediate issues like ear infections or the odd stomach
upset. Rescues try to give you a basically healthy hound, but these little
things can crop up at a moment's notice.

Also, check out how well your hound gets along with others, especially on
her own turf. How does your hound do at basset social events? A dog who gets
along well with others will probably welcome more company. After all,
bassets are very much pack animals.

Those warnings being said, a single hound is likely to adore having a new
pack member, especially if she gets to stay top hound. That's how our Jane
felt when we brought foster Belvedere home. Within three days I found them
cuddling on the couch together. They shortly became inseparable. Jane, who
had always gotten into trouble before we added Bel to the pack, calmed down
a bit--not that she stopped counter cruising entirely or gave up her OEBE
activities, but she got in less trouble and seemed happier with a new
friend.

I highly recommend adding a second dog to the pack.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets