[Dailydrool] Adding hounds; odd or even

Sandy sanwhe47 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 16:47:56 PDT 2009

Kelly Jane wrote: "Here is another observation on adding one more to the
pack. I fully endorse it. My experience is that adding an odd numbered dog
is hardly noticeable and adding an even number dog is a lot more work. For
instance, going from 3 to 4 is a lot more work than going from 4 to 5. Does
anyone else have the same experience? So don't get one more, get TWO more"

We added 3 to our four when Willie, Dora and Val came to live with us.
Kelly Jane is probably right that it was easier adding 3 all at once instead
of one at a time because they all learned together.  I think it only worked
so well because they are basset hounds and get alone with others so well.
We've had lots of different breeds of dogs over the years and I don't think
I've ever see a breed that enjoys it's own kind as much as the basset.  Bea
was our only basset when the three joined us and she seemed to know they
were the same.  Where the dogs we had wouldn't let her touch them except to
play; she was in a basset pile shortly after the hounds arrived.

Sandy W
Bea, Val, Dora, Willie,Thumpy(the Pit-Basset)
Bug and Max who are happy not being Bassets
See our family at:
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/513320