[Dailydrool] Addison's Disease

Susan Kitz smkitz at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 24 21:58:09 PDT 2009

Our Francie was a much mixed breed dog, no basset though.  I think she was around 6 when she was diagnosed with Addison's disease.  We tried pills for awhile but she had a crisis and we switched to a shot once every three weeks which controlled it better along with prednizone everyother day.  She lived to be 12 yrs old and was spry and happy until a few weeks before we had to put her to sleep.  She had a hugh tumor under her tongue.  We never suspecterd this as all, so have your vet check your basset for tumors or lymphomas regularly.  I brought her in for her shot and asked the vet to check her mouth as she had been eating a little funny  and sitting in the darkened bedroom more than usual, also I spotted a little blood in her salivia.They put her out to take a biopsy and  I was called in to decide what to do as the tumor burst.  I had had the cat with me for his shots so I hadn't given her any special pets  or kisses because I thought she'd be right out.  I couldn't wake her up just to say good-bye so I let her cross the rainbow bridge without any pain on her part.  She was quite a character and the Addison's never slowed her down a bit.  While not a maternal figure for Buttercup she did let her follow her around and showed her how to dig holes in the back yard to "git them varmints".  They even flushed something out, Groundhog?, I don't know who was more surprised. the beastie or them.  Buttercup the drama queen and Beaus's mom