[Dailydrool] Basset Bonding

Ventura, Miriam Miriam.Ventura at alleghenycourts.us
Sat Aug 1 08:16:33 PDT 2009

I have to agree with Rose and Karen on their opinion on bonding.  I rescued
Jody in December and it has taken 9 months to get a big wet kiss from him.
Even now when he flops on his back and submits that tummy of his for a good
rub you can tell he is somewhat tense and hesitant.  He loves me now and has
bonded with me but he is still cautious.
My big boy was chained to a post in a yard on a creekbed for five years along
with an Akita who was the alpha dog.  He was emaciated weighing 35 pounds (he
is now a healthy 60 pounds), left out in all kinds of weather with only a
small igloo dog hut for shelter. Deplorable and inhumane conditions to say
the least.
He is still cautious around other family members, especially children but I
have no doubt that he has bonded with me.  He is now like velcro, where I go
he is  there.
I know that when I first saw him, I was smittened but I understood  that a
rescue comes with "issues" and we had them like him snapping and actually
biting me a few times. But he hasn't done that in months now as I don't think
he has felt the need too as he now knows this is his forever home and I am in
for the long haul. It's a pack of two--me and Jody aka the Great Jodini as
the grandkids call him!