[Dailydrool] Attacked by a rot(ten)weiler today: things I learned

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 4 00:29:45 PDT 2009

We had an awful day. Harley was attacked by a rottweiler-pit/mix at the dogpark. Harley's basically okay tonight except for some deep puncture wounds to his neck, but it was very scary. The rott grabbed him by the neck and dragged him across the lawn and simply would not let go with his jaws, despite the fact that Harley was on his back screaming at the top of his lungs and both the rott's owner and I were beating on the rott and trying to pull him off. We were saved by three staff from the Humane Society rushing to our rescue (the park is outside their offices). Here's what I learned:

1. If a dog has yours in its jaws and simply won't let go, grab the attacking dog by the rear legs; lift the legs off the ground (so the dog is in wheelbarrow position), then twist the legs to one side so that the dog must either let go of its prey or suffer a spinal torque injury. It will let go.

2. Trust your instincts. I was reluctant to enter the park with my bassets because the rott looked menacing to me inside the fence. (He was the only dog in the park). The owner assured me "Oh, he's super friendly--he'd never hurt a fly. Come on in. It's totally safe". No sooner had we entered than the dog went after Harley (who of course was rushing up to say hello with his tail wagging).

3. My bassets really are totally different. Bo approaches the world assuming everyone is out to get him and must prove to him they are safe before he will go up to them. After entering the park, Bo had made for the nearest shelter. Harley approaches the world assuming everyone loves him (even growling dogs on chains) and will rush up to Godzilla wagging his tail. Each approach has its pros and cons. Neither is really adaptive.

4. Be careful what you wish for. Since moving here, I've been bemoaning the fact that we've never met another dog at the dogpark--it's always deserted. Well, today it wasn't.