[Dailydrool] Drinking like a horse, putting face in water

Thompson, Joey Joey.Thompson at bcbsne.com
Wed Aug 5 11:16:14 PDT 2009

Are you giving your basset water in a bucket or something???!  Use a bowl that is not very deep.   The only solution I know of would be to use a shallow bowl, and instead of giving the basset large amounts of water at a time, water your basset throughout the day.  I use a food dish for water, she could barely get her black nose in it.  If I go out there and its really hot, I may fill It up more than 1 time while I sit there.  I bring a watering can out with me to fill it up.

Its similar to feeding, you don't leave a large bucket of food out, you feed your basset at a set time everyday (or set times).    Also in general, a basset will eat and drink way more than he/she needs to for sure.  By filling the water/food bowl up at set times, you can better control weight and the problem you are having.  If you have more than 1 dog, use more than 1 dish.

Don't get me wrong, your basset should have access to water during the day at all times, but I am saying just keep an eye on it and fill as necessary instead of giving a larger amount of water.

Also, make sure to brush your basset's teeth!  That may help the smell.

My basset used to have that vinegar smell, but after I adopted the above routing, brushed her teeth, and feed her science diet food, that all went away.

DISCLAIMER
This communication, along with any attachments, is covered by federal and state law governing electronic communications and may contain confidential and legally privileged information. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are reading this message, but you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not disclose, print, copy, store, forward or otherwise use or disseminate the information contained in this transmission. If you have received this message in error, immediately contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original. Thank you.