[Dailydrool] new parents help?????

Teddy and Izzy teddyandizzy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 09:00:58 PDT 2009

I adopted Izzy at 10 weeks last September when Teddy was almost 7 years
old.  We had recently lost Pw. Annie who was a senior houndie and they were
definitely bonded but Annie was probably 5 years older than Teddy so on a
different wavelength for sure than a buppy.  Initially, there was a lot of
Teddy torture that went on.  I had heard of puppy kindergarten but thought
it sounded silly but then my trusted vet said it's important for
socialization purposes and you have to get them in at just the right age so
I checked it out and got Izzy into the one at the OSU vet school.  It made
such a difference primarily for me for the information.  I learned that it
is definitely normal for Teddy to get irritated and to "correct" her and
that as long as he did not draw blood, I should stay out of it and let them
work it out.  It was scary at times to me but I did not interfere.  Teddy is
a big boy - he is a Bassador (wonderful new designer breed hehehe) and on
his slim days weighs in at about 76 lbs.  Izzy's on the petite side and has
always been thin - took her forever to put on weight - so it was nerve
wracking at times but Izzy was fearless and continued to work on him.  It
took some time but I can now report that they are the best of friends.  They
sometimes chew on ech other's ears and he sometimes shows his teeth but that
is rare and occurs only if she does something outrageous like jumps on him
when he's asleep.  Teddy, having been a "street" hound (as in found roaming
the streets, no collar, full of worms), has never really known how to play
but he is learning now.  They frequently do the basset 500, they howl
together (you can see this on our blog at http://teddyandizzy.blogspot.com/),
and I have even caught him playing with a toy.

Anyway, the first few weeks are hard but they will pass.  Try not to get in
the way unless it gets really vicious.  They will work it out on their own
and become friends.  And I do recommend puppy kindergarten - so much
valuable information.

drool to all in need
stay cool
xoxoxox