[Dailydrool] Michael Vick

Kathy Agel kathy.agel at verizon.net
Sun Aug 16 16:05:46 PDT 2009

I'm a sports-talk radio addict -- I listen all day long (unless the
Yankees are on, and then that's what's on the radio or TV). So I've
been hearing about this subject since it first hit the airwaves. And
the past few days, it's eclipsed virtually every other subject on the
two stations I listen to (WFAN 660 and 1050 ESPN, both based out of NYC).

I understand the need for an ex-con to be rehabilitated, and gainful
employment is a big part of that. However...there is nothing that
says Vick has the right to be employed in his former profession, and
to make millions of dollars doing so.

If a teacher, lawyer, policeman, banker -- you name the profession --
had been convicted of this heinous crime, there is no way on God's
green earth that he would be able to go back to it. But Vick is
welcomed back to the NFL, with a huge salary. Granted, it's not a
guaranteed contract -- he can be released tomorrow if need be. But
damn, he stands to make millions of dollars, and that turns my
stomach. I just hope a significant amount of that is donated to
animal welfare organizations -- and doesn't enrich PETA's coffers.